“People do business with people they like.”
Originally from New Jersey, Eddie first tapped into his natural salesman abilities while attending graduate school in Honolulu, Hawaii. With no food or beverage industry experience he landed a waiter position on the top floor of the Ilikai luxury hotel. While working as a waiter at night, and attending graduate school during the day, Eddie found the time to become a airplane pilot so as to better enjoy traveling throughout Hawaii’s beautiful islands. Occasionally, he traveled in the company of his pet monkey!
One evening, he was asked to substitute for the restaurant’s sommelier. Upon realizing how enjoyable and lucrative being a sommelier was, Eddie eventually decided to go to France where he earned his degree in Professional Tasting (D.U.A.D-Diplôme Universitaire D’Aptitude A la Dégustation Des Vins) at the University of Bordeaux.
While living in France he worked as the head Sommelier at the Hôtel de la Poste, Beaune France. Eventually he went to London where he became the first American to pass the Master Sommelier Diploma in London in 1973.
Realizing that to be successful in the food and beverage industry he needed to live where his expertise was in demand, and, ready for more adventure, Eddie moved to New York City in 1982. While living and working in New York, Eddie served as the director of trade education for the International Wine Center. He traveled to 25 cities a year teaching client retention strategies on behalf of organizations such as the National Restaurant Association, the Italian Trade Center, and American Express.
After living in New York City for five years, Eddie decided to move to San Diego, California, and pursue speaking events where he can contribute his unique expertise of food and wine combined with sales psychology to create memorable events for clients and others. He has coached leaders from Citibank, General Mills, IBM and Proctor & Gamble on how to create memorable client dinners and experiences. He also taught during multiple corporate entertaining events at the Beijing Olympics in 2008.
Eddie resides in San Diego, California with his wife. He enjoys creating unique and lively evenings of entertainment for friends and family, and enjoys spending time with his daughter. He speaks at corporate events around the country, showing his audience how fine wine and food can be enjoyed without pretension and how to create a dining experience that will help you acquire clients. He is the author of the book Power Entertaining: Secrets to Building Lasting Relationships, Hosting Unforgettable Events, and Closing Big Deals from America’s 1st Master Sommelier. He continues to maintain his instrument pilot rating.
Qualifications & Accomplishments
- Currently there are over a 145 Master Sommeliers in the United States. Eddie Osterland was the first of them … a pioneer!
- French trained-graduated (in 1975) from the University of Bordeaux, France with a degree in Professional Tasting (D.U.A.D-Diplôme Universitaire D’Aptitude A la Dégustation Des Vins)
- Master Sommelier, Guild of Sommeliers, London England
- Former exclusive Master Sommelier, JetSet Magazine
- Former head Sommelier Hôtel de la Poste, Beaune France
- Past Director of Trade Education for the International Wine Center in New York Where he traveled for 5 years to 25 cities each year presenting his unique multi-media style events on behalf of companies like American Express, National Restaurant Association, Heublein Inc, Foods & Wines From France and the Italian Trade Center
- Author of Power Entertaining – Mastering the Fine Art of Professional Entertaining
- Author of the unprecedented Wine & the Bottom Line written for the National Restaurant Association
- Former Wine Editor for Restaurant Business Magazine for more than a decade
- Chosen by Esquire Magazine to do their “Wine Advisor Video”. As seen on numerous cruise ships around the world, let’s meet “Your Personal Wine Coach” – Eddie Osterland!
- Member of the National Speakers Association (NSA)
- Degree in Psychology
- Instrument-rated pilot